vpFREE2 Forums

Other things to see

Another question about Laughlin sights. Still looking to enhance our experience. Oatman. What is the best road there? Take 155 from Laughlin/Bullhead airport and go South East, or go down to Avi, cross bridge then take 153 East to Oatman. My limited knowledge says 155 is shortest but is a dirt road. We will be leaving from Harrahs. I don’t like surprises while in the desert. Thanks again.

From Laughlin, Needles or Bullhead City, Arizona, Oatman is a short drive on State Route 95 to its intersection with Boundary Cone Road in Fort Mohave. About 10 miles (16 km) east of SR 95, Boundary Cone Road meets with old 66, now named the “Oatman Highway.” Oatman is only about four miles (6.5 km) from there.

mstapp, you think that going down from Harrahs to Boundry Cone Rd (153) either through Avi or from the
airport is faster and a better road than 155 (Silver Creek Rd) from airport to Oatman? I do not know. I just want a simi good road that is simi quick. Looking at my streets and trips, your way is about 17 minuted longer. We do like the desertscapes. The best view would be good for us. Thanks

I tried Silver Creek Road once and I don’t recommend it. It’s a very slow, bad road, not very scenic, littered with evidence of bad local behavior (empty cans & bottles, bullet holes in all the roads signs). Take the longer Boundary Cone route. Even that well-paved road has plenty of twists & turns and ups & downs, and it’s VERY dark after sunset. You’ll want to be back on the main AZ highway before dark.

···

To: vpFREE_Laugh…@…com
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:23 PM
Subject: [vpFREE_Laughlin] RE: Other things to see

mstapp, you think that going down from Harrahs to Boundry Cone Rd (153) either through Avi or from the
airport is faster and a better road than 155 (Silver Creek Rd) from airport to Oatman? I do not know. I just want a simi good road that is simi quick. Looking at my streets and trips, your way is about 17 minuted longer. We do like the desertscapes. The best view would be good for us. Thanks

Half the fun of Oatman is the ride. Set aside a day and do: laughlin to avi then to oatman then to kingman on US66 and back to laughlin thru golden valley and over Black Mountains via route 68 = 90 miles/2 hours. Lot of scenery and places to visit.

Another good take is Grapevine Canyon on Christmas Tree Pass Road off of 163 heading to Vegas… About 10 miles (few miles unpaved but well maintained). Requires one mile easy walk from parking lot to Petroglyphs. Watch out for rattle snakes. Bring water, long pants and a big stick. Springtime you might see lot’s of flowers.